Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Vintage Kitchen Cart Makeover

I love Kitchen Carts!

I remember them from my childhood when they were a fixture in most kitchens. They provided additional storage for small appliances and often held the toaster ovens of that time. I see them pretty often at yard and estate sales but they are rarely in good shape. Due to their age and utilitarian nature, they often have rust and paint damage. You might be turned off, thinking they are shot and too rustic to be useful but let me encourage you to give them a second look. Here's one I'd like to show you as I transform it from ugly duckling to beautiful swan.


Here is the Kitchen Cart I bought.



I loved the curved handles and it was in fairly good shape, with just some minor rust.



I took it apart and got to cleaning. I used a brillo pad to clean off years of grime and attack the rusty spots. Once the clean up was done, I started the spray painting. I used Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover 2X Gloss Apple Red. This type of paint is really great for this application. 




I caution you to apply many light coats rather than one or two heavy coats. You'll get better coverage and less chance at drips or crazing. 


 Coat # 2
Subsequent coats

I do sweeping motions from one end to the other at about 10-12 inches from the surface. It takes time but its well worth it if you don't rush it. Because I was using red, it took about 1 1/2 cans of the paint to get a nice even finish. I let it cure for at least 24-48 hours before reassembling it. 




Here is the finished project! I love it and for under twenty bucks, it looks like its new again!


Rust-Oleum comes in dozens of colors so you are sure to find one that works for you. It is an easy to do project, even for beginners, and you'll end up with a useful piece of nostalgia! 
Start spraying!

No comments:

Post a Comment