Sunday, February 12, 2012

KITSCH'N IDEAS: Cookie Cutter Cabinet Pulls

My friend's Grandmother was one of those old school Grandmothers who had freshly baked cookies for the grandkids when they came in the door. After she passed away, my friend got a bag full of cookie cutters that belonged to her Grandmother. After moving them from place to place and knowing my love of vintage stuff she offered them to me. That's when the creative juices started to flow.


I was updating my "1970's Harvest-Gold-Appliances-throw-back-kitchen" using items from the 50's to set the tone when I got the cookie cutters from my friend. I repainted the cabinets from a dark stain to a crisp white, and replaced the countertops and the old harvest gold appliances. I got some red vinyl chairs and a formica top table, an assortment of retro canisters and a whole bunch of kissing salt & pepper sets for display.




Once the cabinets were done, I wanted to replace the pulls and that is when it hit me! What better to use than the cookie cutters! So, off I went drilling and attaching my adorable cookie cutter pulls! I love the vintage touch it adds to my kitchen and I especially love that they have such meaning to me. My friend's Mom came for a visit to see the kitchen re-do and she was overwhelmed with happiness to see the repurposed cookie cutters on full display.




My cookie cutters are very special to me. If you don't have any that were passed down in your family you can certainly buy them at yard sales, estate sales or antique shops for a couple of bucks apiece.

Have any other ideas for cookie cutters?
I do!
Stay tuned for more on repurposing vintage cookie cutters!


No comments:

Post a Comment