Saturday, February 4, 2012

Removing White & Black Rings From Furniture

I found this square Lane Acclaim table and I could not pass it up! 

But take a look at the top of this table - what a mess!


The stains did not deter me because it is a Lane Acclaim table and by now you know how much I love Lane Acclaim Furniture!
I'd like to discuss water rings and the differences in them. You can see in the picture that there are white looking marks and a dark black ring stain - lucky me!
Water or steam rings can be divided into two groups: White rings and black rings. They are both caused by water or steam from placing something wet or hot on the table. 

The white rings appear when moisture is trapped in the finish. That's the easy one to deal with. If you check the internet, you will find that you can steam the rings out using a white cloth and your iron. I know it seems counter-intuitive but it really does work! There are also other methods that involve mayonnaise or lemon oil although I have only done it with the iron method. It really does work so don't be afraid if that is the kind of stain you have on your finish.

Removing the black marks is more challenging because they are actually a stain that goes through the finish all the way down to the wood. If you have a real "antique" or a cherished family treasure, I would recommend getting it done professionally. Refinishing a valuable antique can lower its value so you certainly want it done right!
To remove the black mark, I will be stripping the table of its finish so I can get right down to the wood. Then I will treat it with oxalic acid, a wood bleaching agent and sand it until it is gone. Finally, I will re-stain and add new finish to the top. This is the same process I used on the Lane Surfboard table I posted earlier and it came out great. Stay tuned to see how this ugly duckling turns into a beautiful swan! 
Wish me luck - I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo, I love those lane tables!!! They are gorgeous! And what fun you get to turn one from trash to treasure!!! Can't wait to see the after!!!

    ReplyDelete